While most of us love the taste of junk food, we still know how unhealthy it can be for our body. Wouldn’t it be great if healthy food tasted this good? Well, since we can’t change the nutritional value of junk food, the next best idea is to use substitute ingredients to make them healthy. Here are some healthy versions of your favorite junk food:
Sour Patch Kids
For the Jellies:
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime, lemon, or orange juice or bottled cherry juice
- 1/2 t citric acid
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 4 (1/4 ounce) envelopes powdered unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
For the coating:
- 1 T powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1 T granulated sugar
- 1/2 t citric acid
- 1¼ cups/155g cocoa powder
- 1½ cups/190g all-purpose/plain flour, plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup/228g butter, softened
- 1½ cups/300g granulated sugar
- ½ cup/110g soft brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee, dissolved into ½ teaspoon warm water
- 6oz/170g rolling fondant icing
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 stick room temperature butter
- 2 tablespoons quark, sour cream, or half and half
salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon hungarian hot paprika (optional)
Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips
- 2 russet potatoes, sliced thinly with a mandolin
- oil for frying
For the seasoning:
- ¼ c. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dried chives
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. sea salt
Peanut Butter Cups
For the peanut butter:
- 16 oz. jar of dry roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 2 t coarse seal salt
- 2 T honey
For the peanut butter cups:
- About ¾-1 c peanut butter (the homemade above, or another natural peanut butter would probably work if you pour off the oil), well chilled in the refrigerator.
- 2 10 oz. bags of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
Written by Lisa Youngelson, Owner of Zippyz
Like most new moms, Lisa had been up night after night changing her newborn son’s diaper. She was so exhausted she could barely function, let alone match up the tiny snaps on her baby’s pajamas.
Frustrated by endless mis-snapping and re-snapping, Lisa found zippered pajamas, and thought her problems had been solved. That night when she unzipped her son’s pajamas, he started to cry from the shock of cold air. Although less time consuming, Lisa hated that she had to expose her baby’s entire body with the zipper. She felt her baby’s comfort should come first and yearned for the perfect footed pajama, which was both soft and cozy for her baby and hassle-free for mommy.
One night while feeding her son she thought of “Zippyz.” Zippyz are patented footed baby pajamas for easy and fast diaper changes with 3 snaps on the chest and a zipper from foot to belly. Finally, a solution suitable for baby AND mommy! Plus Zippyz are a unique baby shower gift! Along with her best friend and business partner Erica, Lisa decided make the diaper changing world a better place for all new parents!
For more information, visit www.shopzippyz.com.
Interested in writing a guest blog for Zippyz? Send your topic idea to: email@example.com.
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Zippyz makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, current-ness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.